Sunday, January 31, 2016

‘Feels’ brilliant album by Animal Collective

 “Would you like to see me often? Cause I’d like to see you often,” sings Avey Tare. Before, I review this album, let me tell you about my history with Animal Collective. I first heard of AC from Pitchfork media’s who had pretty much labeled them THE indie band of the 2000’s. I remember listening to their most popular album, “Merriweather Post Pavillon.” While I found the singles, “Brother Sport,” “Summertime Clothes” and “My Girls”, catchy and highly enjoyable I did not get into the rest of the album. I also didn’t bother searching their back catalogue as I heard they were heavy into noise rock.  I’ve listened to some Noise Rock in the past, Black Dice and Lightning Bolt, and honestly it wasn’t my kind of music.

Therefore, “Feels” comes as a huge surprise. It begins with, “Did you see the words?” Panda Bear tribal drumming causes the crescendo of the song. While Avey kills it as singer, his often chants and yells enhance the song, “Eyes off, ears off, test the kiss goodnight” or  “Though mine is messy, yours is maybe nine.” Each time, Avey finishes a line he’ll extent the last word, “nineee.” Their next track, “Grass” is even more aggressive, the verses are faster and the chorus is explosive, “Pow! Pow! Now! Now!” The beginning intro, Avey plays guitar on the minor key while Panda Bear drums lead into the verse.


I could go on and on analyizing each song but I feel you guys need to check it out:
Top 5 songs:
1-Banshee Beat
2- Purple Bottle
3-Did you see the words?
4-Grass
5-Turn into Something


Also check the amazing performance of “Banshee Beat” live. Avey sings, “If you give a little, and the you get a little bit.” Starts at 27:00. 

No comments:

Post a Comment