Sunday, November 8, 2015

My thoughts on the Star Wars: The Force Awakens Japanese Trailer

I really liked the ‘Force Awakens’ Japanese trailer. I thought it had a great mix between intense action and character moments. I feel that the American  final trailer had too much action and not enough time spent with the  characters. Being a big anime fan this trailer gave me an anime vibe. For instance, when the  Imperial Starships disturbed the peaceful Jakku. This trailer was BB-8 heavy. Japanese audiences will find BB-8 ‘kawaii’ because of their interest in cuteness. I thought BB-8 looked cool and had a good chemistry with Rey. Rey and BB-8's relationship is interesting as she might suffers from abandonment issues since she's waiting for her family. While BB-8 is a robot who doesn’t seem to know his origin.

Its great to see Rey is the main character! She’s given a huge part on the trailer, while Finn’s part is  significantly reduced. On the other hand, Kylo Ren looks amazing! The close up of his helmet looked  very menacing and dangerous. Him telling Vader, “I will fulfill our destiny” gives his character a sense of lineage with the infamous Sith. It also ties together: Kylo Ren, Luke Skywalker and Anakin Skywalker.

I noticed Han Solo’s dialogue was significantly reduced. Maybe he’s not that popular in Japan? I am more of a Luke fanboy therefore, I don't mind not seeing Solo. We also saw a bit of Princess Leia, Poe Dameron, and Miles from Lost!
                                                     
Overall, I thought it was the best trailer so far. I do admit that the American Trailer had better music that created a more intense atmosphere. However, this trailer was more digestible and served as a better introduction of the characters better.


What do you think? Did you enjoy the trailer?   

No comments:

Post a Comment